The areas are judged on a number of factors including health and wellbeing, crime rates, education and employment.
East Hertfordshire has been named the UK‘s best place to live, according to a survey.
The Halifax Quality of Life annual survey said the area – which contains a number of popular market towns – had hit the top spot due to strong exam results, high life expectancy, excellent health and happiness scores, as well as high average earnings.
Areas of the UK are judged on 26 different factors including employment, earnings, housing affordability, health and wellbeing, education, traffic and crime rates.
Halifax said the latest Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures revealed 97% of people in East Hertfordshire reported having good or fairly good health.
Russell Galley, managing director at Halifax, said: “With bustling market towns and picturesque countryside, East Hertfordshire has topped the table thanks to high life expectancy, good schools and health and happiness scores, with high average earnings.”
The Hampshire market towns of Fareham and Hart came in second and third place, and Horsham in West Sussex in fourth. Maldon in Essex also made the top five.
The South East and the East of England each featured four times in the top 10, while Selby and Hambleton in the North also claimed two spots.
In the top 50, places in the South East featured 18 times.
Only two areas in London, Richmond upon Thames and Kensington and Chelsea, made the top 100.
Scotland’s highest ranking area was Orkney at number 18, while Wales reached 126th with the Vale of Glamorgan.
Northern Ireland’s highest placing was Lisburn and Castlereagh at 131.
Here are the top 10 best places to live:
1. East Hertfordshire, East of England
2. Fareham, South East
3. Hart, South East
4. Horsham, South East
5. Maldon, East of England
6. Selby, Yorkshire and the Humber
7. Hambleton, Yorkshire and the Humber
8. Babergh, East of England
9. St Edmundsbury, East of England
10. Wokingham, South East
And here are the other areas which made the top 50:
11. Ryedale, Yorkshire and the Humber
12. South Derbyshire, East Midlands
13. South Cambridgeshire, East of England
14. Tonbridge and Malling, South East
15. Rugby, West Midlands
16. Runnymede, South East
17. Wychavon, West Midlands
18. Orkney, Scotland
19. Woking, South East
20. Warwick, West Midlands
21. South Oxfordshire, South East
22. Rushcliffe, East Midlands
23. Huntingdonshire, East of England
24. Newark and Sherwood, East Midlands
25. Rushmoor, South East
26. Forest Heath, East of England
27. Elmbridge, South East
28. Wiltshire, South West
29. Gedling, East Midlands
30. North Dorset, South West
31. Rutland, East Midlands
32. Tewkesbury, South West
33. Rochford, East of England
34. Winchester, South East
35. Bracknell Forest, South East
36. Cherwell, South East
37. Central Bedfordshire, East of England
38. Charnwood, East Midlands
39. Forest of Dean, South West
40. Vale of White Horse, South East
41. West Berkshire, South East
42. New Forest, South East
43. North Warwickshire, West Midlands
44. Guildford, South East
45. Swindon, South West
46. Lichfield, West Midlands
47. Suffolk Coastal, East of England
48. York, Yorkshire and the Humber
49. Basingstoke and Deane, South East
50. Erewash, East Midlands
News from Sky