Although the woman’s condition was aggressive course drugs, her condition worsened and her family ultimately decided to turn off life support.
A Seattle-woman died earlier this year after brain-eating amoeba entered her body through her nasal cavity after she used a Neti pot, The Seattle Times reports.
The gadget can be used to flush out the sinuses and nasal cavity.
Doctors originally believed she had a brain tumor, but during the surgery found a section of her mind that been turned to what one doctor described as a ‘bloody
“You will find these amoebae all around the area just eating cells. We did not have any clue what was happening, but once we got the true tissue, we might see it was that the amoeba,” Dr. Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at Swedish Medical Center, told the
The woman, who was not identified, had just the second instance ever of the kind of disease ever reported in Seattle. Cases of brain-eating amoeba has been reported in Louisiana water systems over the years using recent cases reported at a portion of a Bossier Parish water method in September based on the Shreveport Times and in Terrebonne Parish in June.
People are typically subjected to Naegleria fowleri when they go swimming in freshwater rivers and lakes. In very rare cases, infections may also occur when contaminated water in the tap or swimming pool enters the nasal cavity, according to the Louisiana Department of Health.
The agency worried that individuals can’t be infected by drinking water. These creatures cause a disorder known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a disease which leads to the destruction of brain tissue.
Symptoms frequently take place anywhere between 1 to 7 days after infection, and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck.