Kiley Lane of Aztec, New Mexico, was diagnosed with Hantavirus in early February, a serious illness passed to humans through contact with infected rodents.
“A month ago she was going to go to Costa Rica with a bunch of girlfriends, and enjoy a fun week. Now she can’t even go do anything on her own,” said Lane’s mother, Julie Barron.
“Kiley Rianna Terrell Lane left this world and joined her Heavenly Father peacefully on April 18th surrounded by her loving husband, mother, sister, and family,” her family wrote.
“Kiley courageously fought a battle to survive a deadly virus for weeks at the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque.”
Onset symptoms of Hantavirus infection include fatigue, fever and muscle aches, especially in the large muscle groups like the thighs, hips, back, and shoulders.
A survivor said it felt like a “Tight band around my chest, and a pillow over my face” as the lungs fill up with fluid, according to the CDC. Lane’s family hope her story will help spur more funding toward finding a cure and treating Hantavirus.
“Please share Kiley’s story with others,” read messages on the fundraising page.
“Ask questions about Hantavirus. Continue the dialogue about this terrible virus which is feared to be more prevalent than fully understood. If one person is tested early and avoids the pain and agony Kiley endured, it is a life positively impacted.”